Maritech Group is the exclusive authorized sales office for Greece and Cyprus.
Contact Us for more information about B-QUA.
B-QUA is a 2nd generation ATP portable measurement method for monitoring a vessel’s BWTS.
ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) is a molecule associated with cellular energy in all living cells. Since ATP is present in all living organisms, by quantifying it we are able to quantify the size of the total microorganism population rather than only culturable cells.
The method is based on a very simple chemical reaction:
1. At first we extract a sample from BW for testing.
2. Aquatic microorganisms are separated in their 3 basic size categories by a membrane filtration system. After each fraction is segregated, ATP measurement commences.
3. We cause a reaction between ATP and the re-agent enzyme called Luciferase (LuminaseTM).
4. After the reaction, light is produced.
5. The amount of light produced is directly proportional to the microbiological population living in BW.
6. Test results verify if BWMS is operating correctly, with a >90% accuracy compared to laboratory analysis. If the results are negative, crew must take all necessary measures in order to ensure the proper functionality of the system and consequently regulatory compliance
7. Through Luminultra’s digital platform test results:
• are automatically stored on a dedicated cloud space
• can be shared to company members for evaluation and transparency
• can be interpreted fast through the platform’s automatic analytics
• can be printed
• can be further analyzed with customizable reports (digital platform is customizable as well)
• can be easily accessed and analyzed through Luminultra’s dedicated application for cell phones and tablets
Below the chemical reaction between ATP and the enzyme
Regulations About Ballast Water
In the table you can see highlighted the regulatory requirements and at the same time incentives, regarding the implementation of a self-monitoring BWMS method on your vessels.
Adopted in 2004,
entered into force in Sept 2017
VGP (replace by VIDA)
US EPA added BW in 2013
All ships should have a BWM Plan & BW Treatment System
Discharge limitations on 3 fractions of organism : >50µm; 10-50µm, bacteria (detailed and indicative analysis)
Discharge limits on viable organisms
Discharge limits on living organisms
Monitoring is optional and up to each PSC/country
– BWTS functionality monitoring
– Effluent biological organisms monitoring (2/year)
– Biocide residuals
Luminultra is a Scientific Participate Member of the new ISO Standard (11711) for ballast water sampling and analysis and Participate Member of the French delegation for IMO regulatory meeting (MEPC/PPR).
- B-QUA is the only available solution that measures all 3 fractions of harmful aquatic microorganisms present in BW.
- A value for money, value for time (accurate results extracted in 15-20 minutes) and value for space (portable kit) solution.
- B-QUA is used by major PSCs. Furthermore, many authorities globally are conducting trials in order to evaluate and add B-QUA to their survey operations. It should be taken into consideration that IMO has asked all countries to conduct tests, collect data and provide feedback regarding the functionality of fitted BWMS, in order to update enacted regulations in 5 years
- Results of 90% accuracy, in comparison to detailed laboratory detailed tests
- Method has been thoroughly tested on board, under real conditions
- High sensitivity: ability to detect 0.1pg/ml of ATP
- Zero interaction with salinity, biocides, organics and heavy metal
- Long living reagents: All materials are stable for 18 months at room temperature. Luminase formulations, after rehydration, typically last 4-6 months if stored refrigerated
- Drinking water and fuel testing can be performed with the same equipment
- Customer training and after-sales support
- LuminUltra digital platform and mobile/tablet application for analysis and interpretation of the results
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.